How to Try Wraps (Before You Buy Wraps)
First thing's first when starting with woven wraps: you've got to find one!
Here are a few options:
Here are a few options:
- Find a local babywearing group! Many groups have a learning or lending library that they use to teach babywearers new skills. Some libraries are just for learning on-site with the educator while others also allow check-out privileges and memberships. The benefit of in-person help is not only being able to try wraps in a library and receive in-person instruction (usually for free!), but you also get support and a social component as well!
- Babywearing International has chapters in so many areas - find a chapter near you.
- Wrap Your Baby has a nice search feature for local groups as well. - https://wrapyourbaby.com/babywearing-groups/
- Facebook is filled with babywearing groups. Search for your town (or town's nickname) and "babywearing" or "babywearers." If you can't find it, ask or search the files for the large babywearing groups, which likely change often but as of now Babywearing 102 is probably your best bet as far as size with over 67k members. For Facebook groups not tied to a region, see amywrapsbabies.com/community.
- Ask your friends! Do you know someone who already owns woven wraps? Even if they live in another city or state, ask them about their wovens. Most of us wrappers are eager to spread the love of wovens and would gladly send you a wrap of their own for you to try. I have personally sent and loan out wraps to several friends - it brings me joy to help them find a skill like wrapping.
- If social is not your thing, or you are a babywearing pioneer in your circle of friends, or if you live really, really far from anything, then you have a few buying options:
- Some fan groups offer traveling libraries for an annual fee. I know Tekhni Wovens has a traveling library with a $25 fee in 2016. Usually participants pay return shipping. Check their fan/chatter group, Talk about Tekhni, for more information. Lalu Wovens is also starting a "Try Before You Buy" program.
- Buy your first wrap! Our next post will cover How to Purchase a Woven Wrap - amywrapsbabies.com/buy-wraps.
Need something that isn't listed? Let me know and I'll send it to you and probably add it here too! Contact me at email@example.com.